Chirag Shetty, the accomplished Indian badminton player, was born on July 21, 1997, in Mumbai, India. As of 2023, he is 26 years old. Chirag Shetty has made significant strides in his badminton career, becoming a notable figure in the world of sports through his dedication, talent, and historic achievements.
|Full Name||Chirag Chandrashekhar Shetty|
|Date of Birth||4 July 1997 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||26 Years|
|Home town||Mumbai, India|
|School||Ryan International School, Mumbai|
|College/University||Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai|
|Education Qualification||Commerce Graduate|
|Profession||Indian professional badminton player|
|Known For||Men’s and Mixed Doubles Badminton|
|Hobbies||Watching series and movies|
Relationship and Family
|Parents||Father– Chandrashekhar Shetty (Hotelier)|
Mother– Sujata Shetty (Runs an academy at Goregoan Sports Club)
|Siblings||Sister- Arya Shetty (Professional badminton player)|
Chirag’s Favourites and Choices
- Badminton Players: Nikhar Garg, Saina Nehwal
- Tennis Player: Rafael Nadal
- Food: Pav Bhaji, Kori Roti, Pomfret Fry
- Musician(s)/Band(s): Major Lazer, Nucleya
- Game: Temple Run
- Bollywood: 2 States (2014), Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011)
- Hollywood: Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011), Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
- TV Shows:
- Indian: MTV Roadies, Chhote Miyan Dhaakad, Sacred Games
- American: Breaking Bad, Narcos, Friends
- Cartoon: Shin-chan
- Book: Touch Play – The Prakash Padukone Story
Early Life and Education
Chirag Shetty was born on July 4, 1997, in Mumbai, India. His childhood was a mix of school, sports, and making a big decision.
- Early Interest in Badminton: When Chirag was just 7 years old, he started playing badminton for fun. It was like a game with friends.
- Becoming Serious About Badminton: As Chirag grew up, he started liking badminton more and more. He decided to become a professional badminton player. This meant he had to practice a lot and focus on badminton.
- Going to School: Chirag went to Ryan International School in Mumbai. Even during school, he loved playing badminton and took part in competitions.
- Choosing a Different Kind of School: After finishing his 10th grade, Chirag had to decide what to study next. He liked science but chose to study commerce instead. Why? Because science needed a lot of time, and Chirag was very busy with his badminton practice.
- Moving to Hyderabad: Chirag decided to move to Hyderabad, another city in India. He did this to get even better at badminton. There, he joined a famous badminton academy run by Pullela Gopichand, a top coach in India. This move helped him train and improve as a badminton player.
Chirag Shetty’s early life was about balancing school and his growing love for badminton. His decision to focus on badminton and move to Hyderabad showed his dedication to the sport, which eventually led to his success as a professional badminton player.
Career of Chirag Shetty
Early Passion for Badminton:
- Chirag Shetty, the accomplished Indian badminton player, discovered his love for badminton at the age of 7. His interest gradually transformed into a passion for the sport.
- He began professional training at the Goregaon Sports Club under the guidance of Manish Hadkar.
Choosing Badminton Over Science:
- Despite excelling in academics and having an interest in science, Chirag decided to pursue a career in professional badminton after completing his 10th standard. This decision was driven by the demanding nature of science studies and the time commitment required for professional training.
Transition to Professional Training:
- Chirag Shetty moved to Hyderabad to receive training from Pullela Gopichand, the Chief National Coach for the Indian national badminton team, at the Pullela Gopichand Academy.
- Under Gopichand’s mentorship, Chirag participated in various national and international tournaments, gaining valuable experience.
- Chirag’s parents, especially his father Chandrashekhar Shetty, supported his passion for badminton. Despite concerns about the complexities of team sports, they encouraged Chirag to pursue his dreams.
- Chirag Shetty made his professional debut in the Sushant Chipalkatti Memorial India Junior International Badminton Championship in 2013.
- In 2014, he qualified for the Tata Open India International Challenge in mixed doubles with his partner Kuhoo, reaching the quarter-finals.
- Chirag secured his first international gold medal in men’s doubles at the Swiss Junior Open 2014, partnering with M.R. Arjun.
- He continued his success with another gold at the Yonex Belgian Junior 2014, defeating Scotland.
Pairing with Satwiksairaj Rankireddy:
- Chirag Shetty joined Pullela Gopichand Academy in Hyderabad and was paired with Satwiksairaj Rankireddy for men’s doubles events.
- Initially, both players were more comfortable in the backcourt, but with coaching and practice, they developed a strong partnership.
- Off the court, their bonding also improved, overcoming differences in backgrounds and personalities.
- Chirag and Satwiksairaj’s partnership resulted in historic achievements, including winning the Tata Open India International Challenge 2016.
- They clinched titles at various international tournaments in 2016, such as the Mauritius International, India International Series, Bangladesh International, and Vietnam Open international challenge.
- The duo won a gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games held in Gold Coast, Australia.
- They were nominated for the BWF Most Improved Player of the Year award in 2018.
French Open Triumph:
- Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy made history by winning the French Open (Super 750) in 2019, marking the first-ever victory for an Indian doubles pair in a BWF Tour 500 event.
- They also claimed the title at the 2019 Thailand Open.
Arjuna Award and Tokyo Olympics:
- In 2020, Chirag Shetty was honored with the Arjuna Award, a prestigious recognition for his contributions to Indian badminton.
- He and Satwiksairaj participated in the Tokyo Olympics 2020, representing India in men’s doubles.
- While they performed admirably, they narrowly missed qualifying for the knockout stage.
Asian Games 2022 Gold Medal:
- In a historic achievement, Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy secured their first-ever gold medal in badminton at the Asian Games 2022. They achieved this remarkable feat by defeating South Korea’s Choi Solgyu and Kim Wonho in a thrilling straight-game victory.
Chirag Shetty, an Indian professional badminton player known for his prowess in Men’s and Mixed Doubles events, began his badminton journey at a young age. Despite his initial interest in science, he chose to pursue a career in badminton and achieved remarkable success. His partnership with Satwiksairaj Rankireddy brought numerous victories, including historic wins in international tournaments. Chirag’s dedication and passion for the sport have earned him accolades, including the prestigious Arjuna Award.